Monday, February 21, 2011

Winter, Reading, Nascar and Hot Tea

When I accessed my blog this morning I was stunned to find 5 posts that I never finished and 3 that just had titles.  Good intentions and good ideas all saved for another day.  I spent the better part of yesterday (Sunday) mourning the end of football and preparing myself for the onslaught of race car season.  I am not a fan (no apologies)  I never have been.  At times I will sit with Bill as he revs up for each race and I attempt to nod and keep eye contact with him as he explains this "sport" to me.  After 28 years you would think one of us would admit defeat......

Ironically we met the weekend of the Indy 500.  I had won a mini-Indy contest on the radio and like any good college student I was out spending the $500.00 that I won on adult beverages.   Bill was impressed that I had won a "car race".  I think this set us up for him believing we were soulmates with a shared passion.  The truth was I had just written my name on a slip of paper and dropped it in a box.

I had every intention of spending the day of the Daytona at work.  I had made great progress in locating my desk on Saturday and had made a list of things to do that could be done on Sunday while Bill was planted in front of the TV watching history be made.  (yes I paid close enough attention to realize it was a big deal for a 20 year old kid to win this race)  But as things sometimes go my plans didn't quite work out the way I intended.  I ended up in bed with a horrific headache. 

I was tucked away under my favorite blanket with  a pot of tea, a pile of books, water and aspirin. Bill was talking to Tonka and swears our dog, (like Enzo from the book "Art of Racing in the Rain")  was now a nascar fan.

I smiled (more like a grimace) and said OK.  As the afternoon progressed I would alternate between sleep and reading.  I finished "Tick-Tock" by James Patterson (started a couple of weeks ago but kept getting put aside as I read other books)  and I also finished "Fly Away Home" by Jennifer Weiner (well,  I started and finished this one).  I also read a few pages from a new book entitled "The Weird Sisters" 


Despite the headache it was a good day.  My desk and my to do list were both waiting for me this morning.  It is a beautiful winter day. (it is no secret that I love the winter weather) That crisp air and the blue sky that only seems to happen in Montana.   I have a cup of tea and I am surrounded by books.  The headache is gone and I am blessed that there is so much good in my life.  as always I have Books Galore and So Much More.

1 comment:

  1. the weird sisters sounds like something i would like, yes?

    ReplyDelete