Wednesday, March 13, 2013

books to read books to share books nothing but books

     I love books.  I love how they feel, I love how they smell.  I love the  illustrations, I love the wonder I feel from looking at the words. I love the art of choosing a book (or having it choose me) I love the ritual of opening the cover and running my hand over the first few pages without reading the words but rather absorbing them onto my fingers.  Those first few moments with a new book (or an old favorite)  I forget to breathe, I get goosebumps in anticipation of the words that are ahead of me.  I love that everyday I get to share this passion with others that are equally passionate about books.  I have come to realize over the years that in the world of book lovers we are diverse in our views but we are united in our desire for stories (real and not so real) and our need for words (no matter the subject) written on paper.
    I have amazing conversations with people, covering every topic imaginable and oftentimes I probably know more about a person than anyone else.  (including their therapist)  There is  a recurring theme among my customers that share their lives with children.  Children of their own, their grandchildren, a niece or nephew or the kids next door.  They are asking me to recommend good books to read aloud and share with these moppets.  I am happy to oblige: (in no particular order)
Homer Price - Robert McCloskey -- is a fun collection of short stories
Goodnight Moon - Margaret Wise Brown -- a classic for the very young
Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, The Trumpet of the Swan - E. B. White
Little House on the Prairie series - Laura Ingalls Wilder (9 titles in the original set)
Secret Garden, Little Princess, Little Lord Fauntleroy - Frances Burnett Hodgson
Harry Potter - JK Rowling (7 titles in the series)
Peter Pan - James Matthew Barrie
Hatchet - Gary Paulsen (there are 3 companion books to Hatchet)
Tucket's Travles - Gary Paulsen (first 5 of the Francis Tucket books)
Tale of Despereaux - Kate DiCamillo
James and the Giant Peach, Matilda, Danny and the Chocolate Factory -Roald Dahl
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum (there 14 Oz titles written by Baum)
Rootabaga Stories - Carl Sandburg
Winnie the Pooh, House at Pooh Corner - A. A. Milne (the orginal books)
Treasure Island, Kidnapped, Black Arrow - Robert Louis Stevenson
Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame
A Long Way from Chicago - Richard Peck
The Borrowers - Mary Norton (there are 5 books in this series)
Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis (seven book set)
Heidi - Johanna Spyri
Strawberry Girl - Lois Lenski
Ramona - Beverly Cleary (actually all of her books)
My Side of the Mountain, Julie of the Wolves - Jean Craighead Jones
From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler - E.L. Konigsburg
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle - Betty Macdonald (several titles in this series)
Magic Treehouse series - Mary Pope Osborne
and many, many more.  I could include Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys, Junie B. Jones, How to Train your Dragon, Inkheart and the Rangers Apprentice series.  There are so many picture books that make wonderful bedtime stories.  The 20th Century Children's Book Treasury is an incredible collection of stories and I personally feel that book is a must for every home library.  It has complete stories with the original illustrations included.
     As a child I remember a book that had a story for everyday of the year.  January first had a story about baby New Year and the illustration showed the familiar baby in a diaper.  I recall Valentines Day and cupid.  I think the book was simply called 365 bedtime stories.  But I have never been able to find a copy.  (there are many books with that title but they don't have the stories that remember) By the time my younger sisters were being read to from the book it was tattered.  I hope to find the book someday. 
     I love storytime at The Bookstore and have enjoyed reading to many children over the years (especially my nieces, nephews and God children)  Read to a child today and create memories for you and for them.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment